Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tuesday Team-up: "Who Knows What Evil--?" by O'Neil, Novick, and Giordano

Dig it, Groove-ophiles! When DC had the rights to The Shadow, they did the smartest, coolest thing they could have possibly done: they had him meet up with The Batman. Not only did that allow for a dream of a team-up, but it allowed for DC to acknowledge The Shadow's role in inspiring the creation of The Batman! And O'Neil and company didn't cheat with time travel or any such nonsense, Lamont Cranston is alive and well (but mostly retired) in 1973! How cool is that, baby? Besides making a fanboy's dream come true, writer Denny O'Neil and artists Irv Novick and Dick Giordano put together a hum-dinger of a comic, snuggled under one of the grooviest Michael Kaluta covers of all time (and dig the original artwork for that cover, too!)! From Batman #253 (August 1973), here's "Who Knows What Evil--?"!






















Oh, yeah, The Batman and The Shadow met again in Batman #259! Anyone interested in seeing The Shadow's return to Gotham? And a big-ol "ThaaAAannnnnnnnQ!" to Sphinx Magoo for giving Ol' Groove the idea for this pulsating post!

9 comments:

  1. Best team-up ever. I love this comic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far out Groove! I really dug this dream team up between two of the detectives of the night! I for one would love to see them again in Batman #259! Make it happen Groove!

    - Mike 'groovy baby' from Trinidad & Tobago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect birthday gift. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I CANNOT thank you enough for this. You made my day, my week, my month. One of my happiest memories is buying this comic and pouring over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Dave! Bob and fractalbat, you guys are very, very welcome! Mike--be on the lookout--Batman #259 will eventually find its way to Groove City!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt one of the best comics ever, from the 70s. Between Steranko's "History of Comics" and my first intro to a pulp character (The Shadow in this comic) I've been a sucker for the pup guys ever since. (Though not too thrilled with Dynamiites "Justice Inc.")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this, Groove. Somehow I have never this story, and it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was never the biggest Irv Novick fan, but I thought he did an excellent job in this issue. Also, while there have been many fine writers putting words in the Shadow's mouth, none wrote him quite like O'Neil did. I love his brusque, somewhat haughty, matter-of-fact Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never actually read this..until now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!